Re: Anton's amendment

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:22:10 +0200, Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> said:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:41:55AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>
>> > I understand that this is how you interpret DFSG.  (BTW, the list
>> > in the brackets is not empty.)
>>
>> I think that is what is written, and is not just an interpretation.

> Not everybody reads the text as you so it is just an interpretation.

        While we may disagree on whether things are intepretations or
 not, I have a job to do. As secretary, it is my job to correctly set
 up prcedures for the GR vote, to the best of my ability, and with the
 interest of the project at heart.  To the best of my ability to
 determine the nature of the ballot at hand, I believe that it
 requires a 3:1 super majority.

>> If you wish to extend the list of exceptions, that is fine. But
>> that does mean the DFSG must be clarified to add to the list.

> I don't belive it is reasonable to create exhaustive list of
> exceptions.  I prefer the second interpretation of DFSG3.

        You have your right to clarify the DFSG to say explicitly what
 you interpret it to mean.

>> When someone says "The license must permit modifications", there
>> are no restrictions placed on the mods by the license.

> Notice that:

>    1. Even GPL places restrictions on the modifications (look at
>       http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/01/msg00240.html)

        That is a reiteration of your statement, but without any
 additional reasoning that actually sways me.

        (BTW, you elided the following in that message: Exception: if
        the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print
        such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not
        required to print an announcement. )

>    2. If some license says "you are allowed to change the word "foo"
>       to "bar" or "baz" then this license permits at least two
>       different modifications.

        And would fall foul of DFSG #3, in my opinion.

        manoj
--
"Were there no women, men might live like gods." Thomas Dekker