Re: The invariant sections are not forbidden by DFSG

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> No, I won't, because it's actually a very good argument as to why
> invariant sections could be seen as less of a problem: if we allow
> unmodifiable-but-patcheable programs, it is not unreasonable to say that
> we should allow documents that are (in part) unmodifiable, but to whose
> contents you can add protest or whatnot. If you would've remained calm
> and have given reasonable arguments such as this one, rather than
> throwing mud around as you seem to like to do, maybe we could've had a
> conversation.

A patchable document, which you could patch to add or remove material
as the document is installed into the system, is just fine and would
meet the DFSG.  However, the GFDL's invariant sections are not like
that.  You cannot remove them upon installation: they are "append
only", and this is not the way a patchable program works.

Thomas