Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:43:35 -0500, Christopher Martin <chrsmrtn@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I'm sorry, whether or not something meets the requirements of the
>> DFSG is not entirely a matter of opinion. While I agree there are
>> grey areas where it can be hard to determine whether or not
>> something is non-free, it is not my belief that the GFDL falls in
>> that category, and hence my ruling that in order to ship GFDL
>> licenced works in main one needs to modify the SC itself.

> You must separate your personal certainty in the GFDL's non-freeness
> from your actions in the capacity of Project Secretary.

        As project secretary, I have to determine the best form of the
 ballot for this GR. My determination is that the amendment requires a
 3:1 super majority, and is based on my best analysis of the situation
 before us.

>> It is my opinion that this is trying to legislate a fallacy.

> It is not up to the Project Secretary to declare controversial
> licenses, over which many developers disagree, DFSG-free or not,
> which is precisely the power your decision arrogates. You may think
> the amendment fundamentally fallacious, but that's not your decision
> to make. The Secretary has some power to adjudicate issues of
> constitutional interpretation, but the DFSG is not the
> constitution. The Secretary is not charged with defending the purity
> of "main" with respect to the DFSG. A GR is the appropriate place to
> decide this issue, yet you have prejudged it by saddling the
> amendment with the supermajority requirement.

        Obviously, your course is now clear: start a process for a GR
 that states that the GFDL licensed works without invariant sections
 do not fall afoul of the DFSG -- which is a rather different topic
 than stating we may include GFDL licensed works without invariant
 sections in main, before determination that such works are indeed
 free.

        Unless such a determination is made, clearly, by the
 developers, and can override the determination made by the delegates
 of the project, the release team/ ftp masters, you are subject to the
 interpretations of the delegates.

>> I would be willing to listen to arguments why GFDL licensed works
>> without invariant sections are not DFSG free with an open
>> mind. However, my current reading of the situation is that they
>> indeed do not meet DFSG requirements.

> You are entitled to this reading, but as Project Secretary you are
> not entitled to determine this for everyone else. As stated above,
> this is an issue which a GR can and should settle, not the Project
> Secretary.

        So start the GR. This is not it. This is a GR about a position
 statement.

> Again, please consider rescinding the supermajority requirement for
> the amendment.

        You know how to override the project secretary.

        manoj

--
"It's a fine world, though rich in hardships at times." Augustus
McCrae