Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:33:36AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> And please, I don't want to see answers saying that the documentation
> can be put in non-free, because, due the the debian policy, `kde`
> meta-package (same is true for gnome) beeing in main, cannot depend
> upon the non free kde docs (since that would make it live in contrib,
> which is IMHO not an option).

Dependencies aren't the only way of getting things installed; Enhances:
fields and Task: fields allow things to be automatically selected only if
the user's indicated they're happy to have non-free software installed,
eg. We've got just under a year to improve our tools to cope with that
properly before our next release, and make sure that:

> So that means that unaware users won't
> have the docs installed when the 'apt-get install kde' (or aptitude
> install gnome, or dselect whatever).

...is not the case.

(Note that the "Task:"-style setup beats the Depends: setup for metapackages
because it means that when one of the packages in the grouping breaks, the
grouping can continue to function even after the RMs pull the broken package
out of testing)

Cheers,
aj