Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 06:06:42PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> However, one thing gives me pause: if this goes to a vote, and the
> vote is "no", then what?

The vote can't be "no"; at the moment it can either be "The GFDL isn't
suitable for main for these reasons (unmodifiable, transparent, drm)"
or "Further discussion" -- neither of which are "no".

> Is there another way we can proceed?  We have not in the past felt it
> necessary to issue official statements like this about non-DFSG
> licenses; why the exception in this particular case?

We have: http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19981008

Why do it especially for this? Becuase licenses from the FSF have a
great deal of respect in the community, so the community deserves an
explanation if we're going to treat one of them as non-free.

Cheers,
aj