Re: [PROPOSAL] Let's ship all firmwares included inthe pristine upstream kernel tarball in debian/etch.

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:28:13PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:04:06PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > === START OF PROPOSAL ===
> > Given the difficulty of finding a common ground about the non-free firmware
> > issue, the Debian Project does resolve that :
> >
> >   1) We allow inclusion in Debian Etch of all firmwares currently shipped in
> >   the upstream linux kernel tarball.
> > ===  END OF PROPOSAL  ===
>
> I second the above proposal, without amendment, as the wording seems to
> me to be too critical of the D-I team.

Well, you can propose a modified wording of the amendment which cures that,
i don't care all that much myself, because i don't own a qlogic based card,
but when i asked the d-i team what the qlogic situation would be, and if they
at least intented to propose some hints of a workaround for users of qlogic
cards in the release notes, and got a "No way" back from frans, i think the
critics are warranted.

Friendly,

Sven Luther