Re: GR proposal : Freeze of the GR process until the etch release, hoping tempers will have calmed down by then.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:02:40PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> =========== START OF GR PROPOSAL =============
> Given that the current set of issues held up to
> vote, as well as the dispute over them and over
> whether the secretary can excercice common sense
> and judgement when casting the ballot, the debian
> project thus resolves that :
>
>   In order to not distract our developpers from
>   their technical work and the timely release of
>   etch, the GR voting procedure, both currently
>   ongoing and future, will be frozen until the
>   release of etch, hoping that tempers will have
>   calmed until then.
>
>   Currently ongoing votes will be delayed until a
>   week after the etch release, where the normal
>   time counting will restart, an no new proposals
>   will be accepted.
> ===========  END OF GR PROPOSAL  =============

I would consider such a statement completely non-binding on me and would
ignore it in favor of continuing to pursue a resolution to the firmware
question.

Moreover, the reason the firmware question was being put to a vote in the
first place is because I'm not willing to put my name on a release of etch
that includes sourceless firmware without first getting a statement from the
project that this is the right thing to do, and *why* this is ok if it
contradicts the current DFSG.