[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Proposal - Defer discussion about SC and firmware until after the Etch release

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 12:58:34AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 11:09, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > The position of the d-i team has so far been presented by Joey Hess and
> > > there have been some contributions from other d-i team members (Yoe,
> > > p2-mate, bubulle). Joey has given an overview of the impact of removing
> > > firmware from main on the installer with an estimate of required
> > > effort.
> >
> > In which he has already been proved wrong once, by Nerode, Goswin and
> > Wouter.

He was wrong about the need for multiple anna sources, which seemed like it
involved major changes, but resulted in being trivially supportable. 

Since this was a major point which proved to be not so true, it naturally
follows that the initial 6 month period may be reduced due to it, not sure
though, my own estimate was also of 6 month to 1 year of etch delay.

Also, this begs the question to wonder which of the other points is also a
not-so-well-thought innacuracy or over-dramatization.

Anyway, the point is moot, we will discuss this issue here in the next year or
so, and never come near a release if we depend on this issue being solved


Sven Luther

Reply to: