Re: Proposal - Defer discussion about SC and firmware until after the Etchrelease

Frederik Schueler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:59:59PM -0700, ldoolitt@recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
>> is to drop support (in whole or in part) for
>> Broadcom NX2, Sun Cassini(+),

Both nondistributable firmware anyway....

look, what list should this discussion be on?  Can someone forward this to
the right list if they ever figure it out?

>> Intel PRO/100 (although some of those
>> chips are also supported by the unaffected eepro100 driver),
>
> eepro100 is scheduled for removal upstream, not an option.

Given that the e100 driver functions without firmware in earlier versions
of the Linux kernel, I strongly suspect that most e100 cards do not
need firmware loaded.  Tearing out the firmware and the code loading it is
likely to be an acceptable solution for most users.  Since the firmware is
nondistributable, it seems to me to be the only acceptable solution.

>> and (maybe) five more members of the
>> QL2xxx family.
>
> The firmware blobs are deprecated in 2.6.17 and have been removed in
> 2.6.18-rc. You already need the non-free package containing the
> firmwares to run these controllers with 2.6.17 and later, no need to
> remove the drivers.

Rocking.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...