Re: kernel firmwares: GR proposal

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Not for some reason, for some very obvious reasons.  They're not
>> adequate as an immediate solution to this problem because separating
>> the firmware from the packages that currently contain it is hard and
>> needs development and because d-i currently can't (as I understand
>> these threads) cope with that split.

> Right.  And the problem is that the d-i team seems to say to themselves,
> "as long as we never do the work, we can badger the rest of Debian into
> sacrificing the Project's principles, and the work will never be
> necessary."

Point 2.1.1 of the Debian Constitution is relevant here.  Under the Debian
Constitution, you have no grounds for expecting the d-i team to work on
this on your preferred time scale.  If you want to get work done that
other people have not completed as fast as you would like, I suggest
investigating how you can do that work yourself.

Not to mention that my impression was that the first part of the problem
that I stated is actually harder than the second part, so I think
targetting the d-i team here in particular is questionable.