Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
>>     Since it appears Debian has to make a choice, which would you=20
>>     prefer we do for etch? (197 votes) [1]
>>         Allow sourceless firmware in main   	             63%
>>         Delay the release of etch (so that we can support    18%
>>         Drop support for hardware which requires sourceless  17%
>>           firmware
>
> As far as I can see, those choices are not orthogonal.
>
>>     Developer only poll: (83 votes) [2]
>>         Option 1 Release etch on time
>>         Option 3 Support hardware that requires sourceless firmware
>>         Option 2 Do not ship sourceless firmware in main
>>         Option 4 None of the above
>
> ...and nor are these.

Ah, right, I forgot: neither orthogonal nor contradicting, just mingled
up.  One more reason why I didn't vote.  Technically, we can still
manage to meet Options 1 to 3 of the DD-only poll, although it's highly
unlikely.  Options 1 and 3 in the first poll can be read with a "for
etch only" attached or without, making them either o

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)