Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

>> relevant part is this:

>> I as non native speaker understand that as this: [...]
>
> Yeah, but then way not say it clearly, and say that we will make an DFSG
> exception for firmware, independently of them being programs or not.

I'm not sure if Steve really meant it the way I rephrased it, but I
think it is.

Of course there could be some more clear wording on this, right.

>> In fact, I'd love to see some better rationale for the quoted point
>> (#4) of the proposed amendment.
>
> I think the rationale behind it is : We want to keep the firmware in
> main, so we say they are not program.

This is the motive, but not the rationale why we (can) make such an
exception.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4