Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:08:33 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> OTOH, the source may require a non-free tool to render it into a
> binary firmware form.  If you don't have that tool, and maybe even
> no hope of getting access to it, is it any longer evident that the
> source is more useful than the binary for derived works?

        But if you, as a user, do have such tools, then having the
 sources around is a freedom that could be important for you.  So that
 software, if it shipped with source, will give some additional
 freedoms, perhaps to only a subset of our users. One should not that
 the freedom granted to some users does not detract from the freedom
 of other users.

        manoj
--
Every man is as God made him, ay, and often worse. Miguel de Cervantes