Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:25:49PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:30:33AM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
>
> > You wrote:
>
> > >         3. supports the decision of the Release Team to require works such as
> > > images, video, and fonts to be licensed in compliance with the DFSG without
> > > requiring source code for these works under DFSG #2; and
>
> > >         4. determines that for the purposes of DFSG #2, device firmware
> > > shall also not be considered a program.
>
> > Would it be possible to vote on these two issues seperately?
>
> It would certainly be possible, but I don't see any value in voting on the
> first of these points on its own because I think the release team is already
> doing the right thing and doesn't need a GR to confirm it.  It's only the
> latter point that's a question in my mind, so if someone wants to vote on
> the former point alone they'd need to propose their own GR.
>
> N.B., I would object to having any ballot options on the same GR that
> consist of this same draft with point #4 stricken, because assuming rational
> voters I would expect the voters who approve of that option to be a strict
> superset of those who approve of my proposal, and I would call on the
> Project Secretary to exercise his authority to keep these two proposals on
> separate ballots to avoid prejudicing the outcome in favor of a "watered
> down" option.

Then why don't you put the point 4 in a separate GR, where the project would
vote in all honesty if firmware are programs or not, and then on the strength
of that, you propose nice wordings surrounding it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther