Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 02:28:30AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Seconded.

Could I get a clarification from either the RM or d-i teams on something?

Independent of whether it's required by the social contract or the
DFSG or whatever, I thought moving non-free firmware into non-free was
a release goal for etch, and if we're not going to meet it for etch,
I think we should definitely prioritise it for etch+1.

Was/is that right? Does it even make sense?

If it makes sense, what are the major difficulties/inconveniences/whatever
that were found in having this happen for etch, that will need to be
addressed to achieve an etch+1 release that's both useful and convenient
for both people who need/want non-free things, and those who want a
completely free system?

(FWIW, non-free udeb support should finally be working properly as of
next pulse)

Cheers,
aj