Re: Proposal: The DFSG do not require source code for data, including firmware

Followups set to -vote; why are we cc'ing this across multiple lists?

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:01:52PM +0200, Jacobo Tarrio wrote:
> El mi?rcoles, 23 de agosto de 2006 a las 21:24:16 +1000, Anthony Towns escrib?a:
> > We choose to apply the DFSG both to the components that the Debian system
> > requires, and to what we use to provide debian.org services. It can be
> No, the DFSG are applied to what's provided by Debian, not to what it's
> required by it.

The DFSG is Debian's definition of free, so it's applied to everything
we think should be free. That includes most of the contents of main and
contrib (one notable exception is license texts), everything that main
"requires", and generally what we run on our servers.

The middle one's the one of interest, it's expressed in the first point
of the social contract as:

    "We will never make the system require the use of a non-free
     component."

(For reference, that replaced the following text from v1.0 of the social
contract:

    "[...] we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free
     software."
)

Cheers,
aj