Re: Donations

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2006, Don Armstrong said:
> > My fear is that some newly founded organization is veted by some
> > future Evil DPL, assets are transfered and dispersed wihtout
> > allowing some lead time for people to examine the situtation.
>
> what is enough time? Even a wolf-organization can be cloaked in
> sheep skin long enough to fool most remote, or cursory,
> investigation. Balance that with procedural road block that a
> mandatory delay throws in the flow of things.

I guess I just don't see a announcement stating: "Baring intervention
by DDs, Foo Organization will be able to hold assets and accept
donations in the name of Debian in two weeks from this announcement"
putting much of a procedural road block that will harm legitimate
work.

> > Is there actually a need to be able to authorize an organization
> > without some lead time?
>
> Perhaps the negotiations for becoming a trustee would take place in
> private; with the announcement being made after a long, private,
> vetting process?

I think that's the very case where we need the time to examine the
private vetting process, since there may be no external communication
before the announcement. [I mean, it's not like a message to -private
couldn't be made if necessary to avoid the outward appearance of a two
week delay.]

Don Armstrong

--
If you have the slightest bit of intellectual integrity you cannot
support the government. -- anonymous