Re: Donations

Hello Wouter,

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 12:45 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Perhaps a formulation like
>
> 	Since Debian has no authority to hold money or property, any
> 	monetary donations for the Debian Project must be made to an
> 	organization that has been vetted by the DPL to be allowed to
> 	handle such things in name of the Debian project, where no more
> 	than one such organization shall be vetted per country.
>
> 	Any property in hardware, trademarks, or in copyright will be
> 	handled by SPI, which is our legal umbrella organization in the
> 	U.S.
>
> might work. This would avoid having to update the constitution every
> time someone wants to create a new organization.

I wonder why you open up the possibility for other organisations to keep
money for Debian, but do not allow these organisations to have any
non-monetary property for Debian.

I know of no good reason now why an organisation other than SPI would
want to hold e.g. hardware for Debian, but I also do not see a clear
drawback - if we trust them with money we can trust them with servers
aswell. I'd keep the possibility open to have such approved
organisations hold other property since there might be a reason to do so
in the future which we're now unaware of.

It also keeps the constitution simple: no special casing, the list would
contain organisations that Debian trusts to keep things (monetary and
other) in its name.

Thijs