Re: Question for all candidates: what mistake will you _not_ make?

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 02:13:42PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> During DPL campaigning, it seems "in" for candidates to propose all
> sorts of Great Things they will try to do once elected. While this is
> obviously all interesting information, it leaves out something that, I
> think, is also fairly important: the things you think previous DPLs have
> done wrongly, and that you intend to do differently.

I'm going to really focus on what I want to achieve. I haven't promised
that much, and certainly not things I think I cannot achieve -- although
it'd be silly to presume I can achieve everything in my platform. Also,
other than just limiting myself to certain areas, I'm also setting
targets for myself that have real-world effect, and should mostly be
of tangible benefit, rather than merely procedural. I have concrete
ideas how I want to achieve my goals.

As you can see from my answers to other questions, there are whole areas
(such as NM) that I do think are important, but I won't make a priority
of working on.

Also, as I wrote in my platform, and elaborated on the lists later:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/02/msg00703.html, I've learned
a lot from being in the DPL team of the past year, seeing some real DPL
action from close by, working on some tough issues, and team dynamics in
the context of Debian. To hilight some lessons: involving whole team
(and making them feel responsible too, and in a much better position to
assist on own initiative) by having leader@ go to the whole team; but
at the same time, not rely on the success of the team (it should in all
cases be a net-win in terms of what I/we will achieve); maintain a
strict and focussed agenda; having a modest amount of serious reviews of
DPL status.

I do not believe in spending full-time time in the DPL position, that
would IMHO be a sign that you're either not focussed enough, failing at
management, or simply doing too much as DPL -- as stated in my platform,
Debian works best and should work as a collection of individuals and
teams on putting together our beloved OS, and the DPL (team) should work
on improvements where needed. None of those improvements should ever be
of immediate urgency. Whenever in Debian something needs to happen
urgently, it'll be as part of some infrastructure team or so, or in any
case, somewhere where the real work gets done. Not in the position that
IMHO should merely ensure the real work can be done in the best possible
circumstances.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar