Re: Democracy in Debian

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 04:09:04PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Presumably the decryption key could be unlocked after the election
> > and placed alongside the balots; since it should expire and be
> > revoked after the completion of the vote, this shouldn't pose much
> > of a problem.
> You'd want to avoid having that let people fake signed ACKs though,
> which would allow a hypothetical malicious developer to bring the
> mailbox presented into doubt. But I guess you could probably reveal
> the decyrption key without revealing the signing key, or just use
> subkeys for that purpose anyway.

Yeah, I was assuming that the signing ack key would be different from
the key used to encrypt messages to the mailbox (either via subkeys or
entirely different keys.) I don't really know if that's the case
though.[1] (I think we'd agree that the project would have far more
serious problems than an election in doubt if we ended up with this
happening. ;-))

Don Armstrong

1: I guess I don't really see the point to encrypt messages sent to
the voting software anyway for non-dpl elections... if you're going to
be in a position to use that data to vote stratigically, you're pretty
much sitting on the same machine that devotee is running on anyway.
The beauty of the DRUNKENNESS subprogram was that you could move your
intoxication level up and down at will, instead of being caught on a
relentless down escalator to bargain basement philosophy and the
parking garage.
 -- Rudy von Bitter _Software_ p124