Re: GFDL GR: Amendment: no significant invariant sections in main

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:03:01 +0900, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> said:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:58:14AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 07:14:22PM -0700, Hubert Chan wrote:
>>> This cannot be an invariant section as defined by the GFDL, because
>>> the GFDL says that an invariant section must be a secondary
>>> section, and a secondary section must be a named appendix.  A
>>> source comment is not a named appendix.
> Mmmm... I meant:

> You are talking "Invariant Sections" (capitalized) in GFDL.  I, also
> Adeodato Simó I think, use lower case "invariant section(s)" which is
> combination of "Invariant Sections, Cover Texts, Acknowledgements, and
> Dedications".  The "invariant sections" suffer restriction in GFDL 4
> MODIFICATIONS.

Ah, OK.  Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure that I would characterize the Acknowledgements and
Dedications as "invariant" sections, though.  Acknowledgements and
Dedications may me modified, as long as you preserve the title, and all
the substance and tone.  It also seems that you can add to it.  So I
would not consider them as being invariant.  (Of course, it is still a
barrier to arbitrary modification, since it cannot be removed, but it's
generally much less bothersome.)

(Section 4 also refers to Acknowledgements and Dedications as being a
"section", which I would understand as meaning a document section, and
which, to me, a comment would not qualify as.  But I'm not going to
argue too vigorously that point, so this is the last that I will say on
that matter.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA