Re: {SPAM} Re: Anton's amendment

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:49:25 +0000, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> said:

> Except that the GPL already explicitly precludes modifications of
> this type (not this scope, but this type, mind you), and our
> foundation documents consider the GPL a free license.

        I have been thinking about this (originally brought up by
 Russ). I have also been re-reading the SC/DFSG, and the time they
 were written. I also started with the idea that the SC/DFSG are  to
 be considered to be consistent, unless strong evidence exists to the
 contrary.

        So, the DFSG are what they say they are --
 guidelines. However, some licenses were deemed by the project to be
 de-facto free, even if they do contravene some of the guidelines,
 hence explicitly naming the GPL and the bsd  licenses. The naming
 them specifically removes the requirement that they meet all the
 guidelines.

        But this does not automatically mean that the dispensation
 offered to the GPL automatically extends to any other license -- we
 would need to list any licenses like that explicitly, or modify the
 guidelines to not  conflict.

        Besides, not removing a copyright notification already present
 is a different kettle of fish from invariant sections.

        manoj
--
Cure the disease and kill the patient. Francis Bacon