Re: GR proposal: GFDL with no Invariant Sections is free

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:08:04 +0100, Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> said:

> Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>
>> Whether the GFDL conflicts with the DFSG is not a matter of opinion.
>> It either conflicts or it doesn't.  The question is really who
>> decides whether it conflicts.

> It now becomes time for the obligatory reminder that

>     The G in DFSG stands for "guidelines".

From the Debian Social *Contract*, point 1:

    We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is
    "free" in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software
    Guidelines". *We promise that the Debian system and all its
    components will be free according to these guidelines.*

(Emphasis mine.)

In order to deviate from the DFSG, you would need to modify the SC.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA