Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

* Debian Project Secretary [Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:12:50 -0600]:

>         The fact that the license is buggy does not change the fact
>  that works licensed under it would violate the DFSG. Given that, any
>  resolution to allow these works to remain in Debian would require a
>  rider to be added to the SC, something of the form:
> - Debian will remain 100% free
> + Debian will remain 100% free, apart from works licensed under the GFDL
>    (the exact wording can be decided upon if the amendment passes).

>         Since this requires a modification of a foundation document,
>  the amendment requires a 3:1 majority.

  I don't see why this _physical modification_ is necessary. I can admit
  that the secretary says "this amendment overrules the social contract,
  since it talks about putting non-free things in main, so it requires a
  3:1 majority"; but if the amendment passes, and so the GR issues a
  statement that some GFDL documents will remain in main, I don't think
  explicit wording is needed _in_ the SC, at all.

  Or so.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud: after a
while, you realize the pig is enjoying it.