Re: GR: GFDL Position Statement

* Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2006-01-18 11:01]:
> There are currently two proposals in discussion on debian-vote regarding
> a position statement on the GNU Free Documentation License. The texts
> are available at http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001, and discussion
> can be found by following:

 Along the same lines of "(3) Why does documentation need to be Free
Software?" I want to ask if not other media like images or music has to
meet the same rules? (though with different reasoning, but same impact)

 I can understand that the "source" for those things might be tricky,
but often images are flattened photoshop files or (with non-free tools)
rendered graphics, or music converted midi files.

 As an example I want to question if I would have to move xblast* to
contrib, because the graphics are rendered with povray, or if there is
no need for it? There are for sure other graphics that fall under the
same thing; at least I can say for xblast that I'm in the good position
to have the povray source available with which the images were rendered.
But would producing them on build-time really raise the quality, moving
xblast* to contrib? If this is done then please think of other packages
with the same "problem", too.

 There is one last point that I really want to raise, though: I guess we
won't have to discuss that our very own beloved swirl logo has a
non-free licence. If we are really going to kick out GFDL documentation
we have to be at least as fair as kicking out our logo from the archive,
too. Otherwise we will just be laughed at, and not fulfilling our own
DFSG, where we won't accept a Debian specific licence in main.

 Please, think about it. Seriously. Don't let this turn into the next
flamewar. If there had been past discussions on either of those topics,
send me along links so I can read up on the reasonings for either
discussion back then to understand it better.

 So long,
Alfie
--
<LnxBil> Alfie: Also gehen tut das Ding, die Fehler sehe ich doch beim starten?
                -- LnxBil über die Bedeutung von "use strict;"