Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:09:49AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Adeodato Sim? <adeodato@debian.org> [2006.01.10.0455 +0100]:
> >      Formally, the Debian Project will include in the main section of
> >      its distribution works licensed under the GNU Free Documentation
> >      License that include no Invariant Sections, no Cover Texts, no
> >      Acknowledgements, and no Dedications, unless permission to remove
> >      them is granted.
>
> I'm a late entry to the thread, please excuse.
>
> If we kicked all GFDL out of main, how many upstreams would
> reconsider their choice of licence? None? Few? Some? Many?

If we don't kick it out, the answer is simple: None.

> I am <-> that short of seconding dato's proposal, but I believe that
> Debian is also in a position to make the world a better place by
> asking upstreams to rethink. Or am I being completely na?ve here?

A lot of people have used the GFDL without actually read it and got
bitten. This is clear from the fact the GFDL is often not properly
implemented.

Relicensing is burdensome and no one undertake it without a good
reason. We might provide a motive.

Of course there is an alternative: the FSF releasing a GFDL 1.3 update
that address the issues outside invariant sections. We first made the FSF
aware of issue seven years ago, so we did not exactly rush them.
This GR might give them some incentive to finally do it. Postponing the
issue yet again is a joke, we cannot postpone indefinitely.

For my part when a project describe itself as being under the GPL I
would expect the documentation to be under a GPL compatible license.

Cheers,
Bill.