Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

Thanks to Luk for setting things straight. I hereby second Dato's
proposal, which is included in full below.

also sprach Adeodato Simó <adeodato@debian.org> [2006.01.10.0455 +0100]:
> > It's been six months since the social contract changes that forbid
> > non-free documentation went into effect [0], and we're still distributing
> > GFDLed stuff in unstable [1]. I think we should get serious about fixing
> > that, and as part of that that we should release the following statement
> > (or one like it) on the GFDL:
>
>   I propose an amendment to this GR, consisting in replacing the
>   existing text with the one below. I initially tried to follow
>   Anthony's original text as close as possible, and just add a paragraph
>   and reword a couple sentences, but I didn't quite like the result, so
>   I ended up rewriting it; if somebody manages to fit point (2) below in
>   the original text, be my guest. The section "Problems of the GFDL"
>   comes straight away from Manoj's Draft Position Statement [1].
>
>     [1] http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html
>
>   As I expect that at least one of the seconds/proposer will object to
>   this amendment (heh), I'm actively looking for seconds myself now.
>
>   Thanks.
>
> -----------------------------------8<-----------------------------------
>
> Debian and the GNU Free Documentation License
>
> This is the position of Debian Project about the GNU Free Documentation
> License as published by the Free Software Foundation:
>
>   1. We consider that the GNU Free Documentation License version 1.2
>      conflicts with traditional requirements for free software in a
>      variety of ways, explained in detail in the "Problems of the GFDL"
>      section below.
>
>      The most grave of these problems are the so-called "invariant
>      sections", which are non-removable, non-modifiable parts of the
>      document that the GFDL allows in works under this license. However,
>      modifiability is a fundamental requirement of the Debian Free
>      Software Guidelines, so this restriction is not acceptable for us.
>
>   2. We believe that works licensed under the GFDL that include no such
>      unmodifiable sections do fully meet the spirit of the Debian Free
>      Software Guidelines, and have a place in our distribution despite
>      the other problems (minor, in comparison) that the GFDL has.
>
>      Formally, the Debian Project will include in the main section of
>      its distribution works licensed under the GNU Free Documentation
>      License that include no Invariant Sections, no Cover Texts, no
>      Acknowledgements, and no Dedications, unless permission to remove
>      them is granted.
>
>   3. Despite the compromise above, GFDL'd documentation is still not
>      free of trouble: as an example, it is incompatible with the major
>      free software licenses, which means that GFDL'd text can't be
>      incorporated into free programs.
>
>      For this reason, we encourage documentation authors to license
>      their works (or dual-license, together with the GFDL) under a well
>      known free software license like the the GPL or the BSD license.
>

> Problems of the GFDL
>
>  I. The DRM Restriction

> [...]

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"for nasa, space is still a high priority."
                                                      - george w. bush