Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 06:17:57PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:

> >         The release team has spoken, and they decide what goes in a
> >  release.  If they have decided, under advice from debian-legal, that
> >  GFDL docs are RC bugs, then that is that.

> I've now also found:

>     <http://release.debian.org/removing-non-free-documentation>

> which is basically the statement that I had been looking for.

> Given that, I'm not sure that a GR is really necessary, although I still
> don't think it could hurt.

I'm in favor of a GR because it gives us the means of measuring the
consensus within the project about *what* makes this a non-free license; the
release team is convinced that it's not a Free Software license, but I'd
rather have broad agreement about what *would* make it a free license before
we start telling people they need to change.