Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
>> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

>>> I'm confused. Where does it say that we have to go through the GR
>>> process to issue a position statement for something the project has
>>> already decided on?

>> How do we know the project has decided on it?

> http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_003
> http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_004

No, that's not what I'm talking about.

> The implication of those two votes is that the Project intends that
> the 100% of the Debian system must comply with the DFSG.  Since it has
> been proven that the GFDL is not a DFSG-free licence, the consequences
> are clear.

This is what I'm talking about.  Who has proven that the GFDL is not a
DFSG-free license?  Where is the project statement that the GFDL is not a
DFSG-free license?  Again, remember debian-legal is not a decision-making
body.  What about the Debian developers who have argued in debian-devel
that it *is* a DFSG-free license (perhaps under specific circumstances,
such as no invariant section use, or invariant sections used only for
copyright statements)?

I don't disagree with you that it is not a DFSG-free license.  I've been
convinced by the arguments stated (although *if no invariant sections are
used* I think the problems are mistakes in the way the license is phrased
rather than any real intent of the license -- not that that makes any
difference).  But other people clearly have not been, and I think it's
important to arrive at some closure on this with an official statement.

(Please don't respond to this message by reiterating what you feel is the
proof.  One, you'd be preaching to the choir, and two, you're unlikely to
convince anyone at this point since we've been down that path many times
already.)

Also, when communicating with upstream, I think it would be very good to
have an official statement to point them at if they have any questions.
Manoj's current summary is great, but it states pretty clearly that it's a
draft and is not a final statement.

> If we do hold a GR over this decision, I won't be voting any differently
> than I did in either of the above votes; my principles haven't changed
> since last time I voted.

I don't think anyone is asking you to.