Re: Branden's time commitments

Daniel Stone <daniel@fooishbar.org> schrieb:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 06:33:16PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:25:55PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> > vendors, et al.  But nevermind that.  Can you make a case for sticking
>> > with XFree86?  If you can, please do so.
>>
>> Yes, until sarge is released. Of course that's Branden and the XSF's
>> decision, in consultation with the release managers.
>
> Sarge was never relevant to this discussion, so I don't know why you
> ever brought it out, except to drag this discussion even further away
> from usefulness than it already was.

As far as I know, it is still the standard procedure for updates
targetted at sarge to upload to unstable, and wait for the normal
testing transition.  Everything else causes additional work for the
release managers and other people.  On the other hand, having a new
upstream version in experimental causes additional work for the
maintainers, while xfree86 does seem to have quite some bugs that could
be fixed for sarge - maybe the XSF just decided to better do this work
instead of having x.org packages in experimental?

And finally, if the time a packages spends in NEW is connected with its
complexity, I'd expect the x.org packages to sit in there for quite a
while.  Since everybody was always told "the freeze will be very soon",
I fully understand that a maintainer team decides not to publish
packages that do such a major switch at the moment.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich