Re: Question for candidate Towns

ke, 2005-03-09 kello 17:07 +0100, Michael Banck kirjoitti:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:15:11PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > That said, there is no way to ban flamewars since they are sort of
> > part of the nature of a project like this.
>
> I do not subscribe to this.  Flamewars are *not* a necessary evil (or
> even a good thing), I believe we would be at least as productive without
> them.

The Python newsgroup (and corresponding list) comp.lang.python has
always seemed to me much friendlier than Debian lists, despite the fact
that they are of similar sizes. I claim therefore it is possible to have
a big group of people working and talking together even about
controversial issues without flames, if the group as a whole considers
it a good thing and there are prominent role models that eschew flames
and actively calm things down when they get hot.