Re: Questions for candidate Walther

Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@m4x.org> wrote:

> btw, for the security team, I think it's fair to ask users to upgrade=20
> their distribution. If we don't assume that, then why don't we support=20
> debian 1.0 anymore ???

It's fair to ask users to upgrade, but it's not fair to ask them to
do so every 6 months. Many organisations will want to spend 6
months testing a new release before rolling it out. I've no
objection to releases every 6 months (though I'm not convinced it's
entirely practical within Debian), but we need a support cycle
that's longer than that. Ubuntu supports each release for 18
months, even though they release every 6 months. Do we have the
resources to do that?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org