Re: Question for Andreas Schuldei and Branden Robinson

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:44:14PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> Most of the current members of Project Scud appear to be employed by
> companies whose primary business is Debian, or heavily depend on Debian
> in their line of work:

[...]
>   Bdale Garbee, CTO of HP Linux who use Debian for testing and have
>   their own "Carrier Grade" derivative.

You forgot myself:

   Enrico Zini as well, employed part-time by Canonical[1] until the end
   of February, possibly more if I find the time.

> Was this intentional?

No, it was not intentional.  I didn't know the job of Steve and Branden
before I read your message, nor some of the others did know I was
working for Canonical.  And I still don't know what's Jeroen's job :)

> If it wasn't intentional, are you not worried that you could either be
> influenced by your employers to direct Debian according to their wishes
> or be perceived to be doing so?

All of us (not only in Project Scud) we are influenced by something (our
job, our partner, our employer, our users, the volunteer group we like
to help, whatever).  And it's perfectly fine for people to notice it.

For example, I'm active (more or less) in Debian-NP because I'm part of
some volunteer groups.  And working at Ubuntu I've noticed that the
Ubuntu Code of Conduct is a nice idea and I'm working at something
similar for Debian.

Since your question implies it could be a problem, let's see three
malicious scenarios I can think of: misrepresentation, boycott and
flamewars.

Misrepresentation

  It happened in the past that someone used their Debian address in
  activities which were not connected with Debian, and which should
  definitely not have been connected with Debian.

  When watchful debianers found out, we had a ritual flamewar in some
  mailing list, and the offender was asked to stop or leave.  End of the
  problem.

  In this case, people watching and noticing and reporting bad things
  have been very useful to the project.

Boycott

  I can't think of a precedent of boycott, so I'll make one up.  Let's
  say for example that James Troup, a key person in Debian who is
  employed full-time by Canonical, has the idea of making Ubuntu better
  by making Debian worse, and starts boicotting Debian by blocking
  packages in the NEW queue.

  Who's gaining from it?  Surely not Canonical, who resyncs with
  Debian's improvements every 6 months, and is strongly interested in
  finding more good software to cherry-pick from.

  Thing is, none of us who has a direct interest in Debian could want to
  boycott it.  That would impact Debian's interests, yes, but also those
  of the boycotters.  Debian is one of those virtuous circles in which
  even conflicting entities have an interest in cooperating[2].

Flamewars

  Every other month, a huge boring flamewar starts with some
  conspiration theory blaming James Troup of not processing the NEW
  queue because of connections with NSA, Al Quaeda and the little green
  men featured in The Greatest American Hero.

  This is a sign of people watching.  Which is good, because it's how we
  catch events such as the guy misrepresenting Debian.  It becomes a
  problem when the discussion is uncivilised or uninformed.

  If it's uncivilised, then what we have is a burnt-out Debian Developer
  who needs more hugs, and a thread to delete.

  If it's uninformed, then what we have is a problem in transparency:
  watchers can't watch well enough.  The watchers should learn to
  investigate better, and the watched should learn to be more open.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] Those who fund Ubuntu
[2] We're not the only one: Cinepaint (http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/)
has a nice and catchy history as well: http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/docs/history.html
There's many of these magic situations happening everywhere, luckily.
--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>