Re: Vote for the Debian Project Leader Election 2005

On 20050325T002711+0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> Eh, the buyer can demand proof, the same proof a voter has to verify his
> vote is tallied: ask the secret token.  Assuming md5 is a strong hash,
> this way a voter can prove his/her ballot if (s)he wishes to publicly
> (or privately) show to have voted in a given way.

Ouch.  Nasty.  Bad.

(This is one of the reasons why real elections have partisan observers
present in vote counting: you cannot give the voter proof of his vote
being counted, so you need another way to ensure public trust in the
process.)

> As far as I know, the real reason is to enable it for people to vote
> without worrying to hurt a person (DPL-candidate), for example that one
> ranks a friend quite low because one doesn't think he'd make a good DPL.
> Voting for people is necessarily a more personal affair than voting for
> something more abstract like a GR about the constitution.

Sure, and that is a good argument for this kind of secrecy.
However, the reason I gave is the reason secret ballots are a
requirement in democratic government.  (I include in vote buying the
nastier practices of blackmail and duress.)
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian