Re: Exclusion, was: Clarification about krooger's platform

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:48:26PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > So, it is not that people think esperanto is not significant enough, but
> > rather than nobody interested in esperanto cared enough early enough in the
> > process to get it supported.
>
> I don't think some of us could tell what was "early enough" - even
> the ones who can use English as well. Is there anything we can do
> to avoid this sort of thing? Should language-specific communities
> be recommended to send delegates to other parts of the project?
> Routinely or should we just try to detect particular problems?
> Something like society-sector-is-MIA tests?

There are couple of lists dealing with language support in debian, and anyone
following them would have noticed what was needed to get his language in since
about a year now, or so.

> > I guess it is too late for rc3 or maybe even the
> > sarge release now, but if you contribute or organize something it may still
> > happen, at least for a point release.
>
> IIRC, we're told it's too late for sarge and will have to wait

Well, rc3 freeze was last monday. Just do your translation work, i didn't say
it was too late for sarge, just that it may be too late. There will most
assuredly be chance for updates before the etch release. As joeyh mentioned
there are about 10 or so language in the not yet 'in' group.

> for the release after that! Maybe someone will point out that
> I'm wrong again, but if so, can the d-i translator page to be
> made clearer about this for simpletons like me?

You are aware that the debian-installer development and translation has
undergone a huge amount of development during these last year and a half,
aren't you ? There where assuredly news about this enough from all side that
if you had cared, you would have noticed. The installer is a full new
development, so anything that pertained to the woody and previous installer
was mostly lost.

Anyway, this is off-topic, please take the discussion to debian-boot and/or
the appropriate language list (debian-(i|l)(10|18)n i think). Whole lot of
archive and coordination pages are available for you there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther