Re: What your ballot should look like if you're in favor of releasing sarge

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:41:04 -0500, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
said:

> I have no intention of telling people which option should be their
> preferred option; indeed, I myself question whether September is far
> enough away to let us release before then, because we've lost a lot
> of momentum over the last month and a half while this has been
> hanging over our heads.  But it is precisely because of the momentum
> being lost that I think it's hard for us to do *worse* than the
> status quo, which is why I still plan to vote choice 1 above the
> default option -- along with choices 2, 3, 4, and 5.  If you agree
> with me that the release of sarge is already long overdue, I
> encourage you to do likewise.

> And if you have already voted, I would also remind you that the
> Debian voting system does allow you to change your vote any time up
> until the close of the polling period.

	I must confess to being surprised by the numbers of negatives
 on the ballots being posted to places like planet.debian.org. I
 would like people to consider this: back in the halcyon days of
 yore, myth has it that we used to try for rough consensus. Now that
 that oractice is slowly going out of fashion, and we have
 substituted majority rules and votes for discussion, voting just
 ones preferred option above further discussion implies that one is
 not willing to even think about compromise; if my way does not win,
 then we do nothing.

	This predilection for not moving an iota from a preferred
 position would lead to "Further Discussion" winning in this vote;
 which may not be the desired option.

	I have voted options I consider suboptimal, but still better
 than sitting on our hands, above the default option. I use this
 exercise (which I also use for DPL elections): before I rank an
 option below the default option, I mentally prepare myself to look
 at the sponsor of that option in the eye and say to their face
 "Dude, your option sucks. Indeed, there are a list of reasons why
 implementing it would be bad for Debian". If I can't bring myself to
 say that, I rank the option above the default, albeit at the bottom
 of the list of acceptable options.

	It we can't work towards rough consensus anymore, could we
 still vote in a fashion that allows for solutions that may not be
 optimal in our view, but are still those we can live with?

	manoj
--
There is, in fact, no reason to believe that any given natural
phenomenon, however marvelous it may seem today, will remain forever