Re: Analysis of the ballot options

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:05:37PM +0200, joy wrote:
> > See http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/06/msg00000.html (for the
> > proposal, seconded by Eduard Bloch, Michael Schiansky, Marco d'Itri,
> > Marc Haber, John H. Robinson (IV), giving the required quorum of the
> > constitution), and rejected by the secretary in that form because it
> > also spoke about the release interval, see
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/06/msg00035.html
> > | I am just saying that portions of this proposal, as it reads
> > | now, do not address the issue that the current GR addresses, and
> > | must needs go on another ballot, and another vote.
>
> Hmm, yeah, the short point appeared to have gotten sidetracked by all that
> verbiage, and the promise of yearly release sounds optimistic at best.
>
> I'd second a resolution that simply said that we acknowledge that the
> meaning of the first clause of the social contract, regardless of whether
> we say "free according to the DFSG" or "free software" or "free monkeys",
> is not set in stone and its interpretation is variable.
>
> Another option on the same resolution would be that the interpretation
> is exactly this-and-that,

Also worth noting is that one option on the same resolution could be that
the interpretation is whatever the current release manager says.

Not that I necessarily agree with this, but it would avoid the issue I
raised in Message Id: <20040427113620.GB4073@keid.carnet.hr> (back in April).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.