Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:20:21 -0400, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 12:32:35AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> I believe this proposal introduces ambiguity that 2004_003 was
>> meant to resolve, by using the term "software". 2004_003
>> specifically amended clause 1 of the social contract to remove the
>> term software because it is (apparently) ambiguous. Thus the
>> following would be better:

> It introduces some ambiguities, but not that ambiguity.

> 2004_003 says that the Debian Free Software Guidelines are used to
> judge all copyrighted works.  Since the DFSG doesn't give any
> guidelines for things which are not software, this implies that
> everything copyrightable which we distribute is now being judged as
> software regardless of any ambiguity in what "software" really is.

> The ambiguities it introduces have to do with "not compromising on
> freedom".

	Ifail to see the ambiguity here. We say debian shall be 100%
 free (used to say software), and we ain't gonna compromise that
 freedom.

	Again, do not jump to conclusions. Do not project. Do not
 extend. Do not presume to think you know about the speakers
 mindset beyond what the speaker actually said. No strawmen.

	Now, shall we compromise about keeping the interests of our
 users at heart? I hope not, but this GR says nothing one way or the
 other about it.

	manoj
--
The sudden sight of me causes panic in the streets. They have yet to
learn only the savage fears what he does not understand. The Silver