On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:02:34 +1000, Brian May <bam@debian.org> said:

>>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> writes:
Jason> Pretty much everything has embedded 'firmware' of one kind
Jason> or anyother.  Sometimes you don't see it, because it is in
Jason> flash or ROM'd into the chip.  Though, often it ends up in
Jason> a driver primarily to save on the cost of flash and/or to
Jason> ease updating it to new versions.

>> hat mode="devils advocate">

> So, as far as Debian is concerned, if the firmware is on a ROM or
> otherwise hard-coded in the hardware its OK; However it is not OK if
> the firmware has to be distributed with the software?

	Does Debian distribute the ROM? No? Does Debian distribute
 hardware? No again? Does Debian distribute software?

	Stunned silence.

> What about DFSG software that *requires* proprietary hardware in
> order to operate? Should this go into contrib?

	Umm, I have nothing but proprietary hardware.  Never had any
 non-proprietary  Hardware. most people don't. Indeed, is there such
 a thing as non-proprietary hardware? Or should we put just about
 everything into contrib?

	manoj
 who wonders if this really belongs on -curiosa
--
Being a miner, as soon as you're too old and tired and sick and stupid
to do your job properly, you have to go, where the very opposite