Re: Proposal: Keep non-free

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 11:11:05AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> As you have pointed out before, the project and the distribution are
> different. I think the project is already not "DFSG-like free": it
> discriminates against certain fields of endeavour in some ways. It
> would be difficult to do otherwise. Your claim seems very obvious. I
> don't think the DFSG are supposed to apply to the project, only the
> distribution, but ICBW.

My question had nothing to do with the project -- notice that I don't
mention the debian project anywhere in the question.

If a third party used debian software to develop something, and their
copyright on that software said "this software can only be distributed
to people who agree that they will only use it to develop DFSG software",
that software would not be DFSG free.

This kind of contradiction seems, to me, to be inherent in the position
you're advocating.

More generally, what you're advocating seems to be in direct conflict
with clause 8 of the DFSG.

But maybe I don't properly understand what you're advocating.

--
Raul