Re: Discussions in Debian

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 05:58:45PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:13, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:57:08AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> > > I don't know what it is about your style of
> > > comunication, but it reminds me more of "debate club" than rational
> > > discussion in search of a common ground.
> >
> > The implication here presumably being that illogical and invalid
> > arguments are "rational discussion in search of a common ground".
> >
> > I've never seen a debate club with rules other than that all arguments
> > must be valid, and you have to let the opposition have time to speak
> > (the latter of which obviously doesn't apply to mailing lists).
>
> "All arguments must be valid" is a fine rule if you want to have arguments for
> fun.  If you want to achieve something (such as developing a large software
> project) then there are many arguments which are stupidly bogus.  This has
> been demonstrated many times on this list.

Are you seriously suggesting that the bogus arguments are anything but
cruft to be discarded? If not, I don't see your point. They certainly
don't achieve anything.

> As for the opposition having time to speak, once again that's nice if you are
> just arguing for the fun of it but not if you are trying to get something
> done.  This list has many examples of people who do no work but who feel that
> they deserve a right to be heard.

I already said this obviously doesn't apply to mailing lists (did you
read the mail you were replying to?); they operate massively in
parallel, and therefore have no need of such a restriction.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |