Re: What your ballot should look like if you're in favor of releasing sarge

Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

> This rely on the premices that at least some options will allow to release
> sarge sooner. Unfortunately discussions on debian-vote involving the
> release manager and the ctte had made clear to me that none of the
> ballot options will have positive effect on the release of sarge, making
> the exercise rather pointless, the reason being, all the options focus
> on the previous SC change and side-step the real issue which is the
> change of the release policy. I see no evidence that any changes of the
> SC will imply change in the release policy allowing to release sarge
> sooner.

I can't follow you here. What I think to have learned out of those
discussions is that with the current SC, the relevant people think it's
impossible (both "legally" within our constitution, and personally
according to their conscience) to release sarge with the release policy
as it was before GR003-2004.

Thus, the only way to get out sarge with this release policy is to
change the SC.

> So currently, I feel that "Further discussion" is the option that will
> do the least damage to the release.

Here I cannot follow either. Even if Proposal F wins, we can stop
discussing and start working. This will probably cause lots of bad
emotions between Debian and the FSF, and it will take long. But
eventually we'll be able to release sarge. If further discussion wins, I
fear we will be doing exactly that: Continue discussing instead of
starting to work.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie