Re: Analysis of the ballot options

[This guy is a troll; just rebutting the misinformation so that people
aren't confused]

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 09:23:05PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:59:33PM -0500, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
> > > [   ] Choice 1: Postpone changes until September 2004  [needs 3:1]
> > > [   ] Choice 2: Postpone changes until Sarge releases  [needs 3:1]
> > > [   ] Choice 3: Add apology to Social Contract         [needs 3:1]
> > > [   ] Choice 4: Revert to old wording of SC            [needs 3:1]
> > > [   ] Choice 5: "Transition Guide" foundation document [needs 3:1]
> > > [   ] Choice 6: Reaffirm the current SC                [needs 1:1]
> > > [   ] Choice 7: Further discussion
> >
> > Options 1-3 are essentially clones with subtle variations. 2 is the
> > same as 1, but without the time limit. 3 is the same as 2, but is less
> > intrusive
>
> Modifying the social contract permanently (as opposed to temporarily
> overruling it) to address temporary problems is seen as "less
> intrusive"?

This is factually incorrect; that is not what option 3 does.

> > Option 5 may in itself be a good idea, but it is essentially
> > orthogonal here, and worse, it doesn't actually answer the question of
> > "what do we do about sarge?" - it just says "carry on", which says
> > "non-free release" if you were expecting a non-free release and "free
> > release" if you were expecting a free release.
>
> Actually, it says "we reaffirm the previous GR, but it won't be active
> before the next release".

This is pure fiction.

> > Option 6 is the other position - that free software is what matters.
>
> Indeed. It also "happens" to be the option you proposed; and you are not
> listed as seconder on one of the other options.

Irrelevant.

> If you think some of the options
> shouldn't have been on the ballot, you should've said so before. You
> didn't, AFAIK.

I did, and furthermore you were aware of that (we've had this
discussion before), so now you're just lying outright. The conclusion
was that a summary along the lines I wrote was the appropriate way to
proceed, rather than removing some of the options from the ballot.

> So, leave it at that, and don't pretend to offer voting
> advice when all you really do is advocate your own position. If you want
> to advocate your own position, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with
> that; but in that case, please say "summary: you probably want 6"
> instead of this.

Except that I am not doing that, but rather providing a concise
analysis of the options available for people who haven't been
following the discussion.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |