Re: Proposal - Statement that Sarge will follow Woody requirement for main.

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:50:55AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > If the US were to adopt Debian's provisions, is there some reason to think
> > the Bible couldn't be a Foundational Document for the US?
> That's so nonsensical I can't begin to formulate an answer.

> Having the US adopt the Bible as a foundation document would be something
> like having Debian adopt the Microsoft EULA as a foundation document.

Well, speaking of nonsensical... Do you really think "the Bible"::USA as
"Microsoft's EULA"::Debian?

> > Which means that the person claiming there is a rule has to meet the
> > burden of proof. Seriously, I'm happy to discuss this; but if you want
> > proof that there's no such rule, you're asking for the impossible,
> > even if it's the case.
> Let's settle for "if we are going to disregard the social contract,
> what is our basis for doing so, why is that ok, and how is that not
> setting aside some part of the social contract for something else?"

"If we're going to disregard Micorosoft's EULA, what is our basis for doing
so?"

We don't need a basis -- we need a basis to *regard* it. One possibility
is that it's constitutionally required. Another possibility is that
it's a good idea. These have different consequences depending on which
is the case.

Feh, whatever. If you're not interested in considering my view, I'll
stop wasting our time.

Regards,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.