Re: Amendment to the Constitution: Add a new foundation document

Michael Banck wrote:

> However, it is very hard to determine and carve in stone the 'point of
> no return' for a release, especially as we are still experimenting with
> the way we do releases. But I guess we could have the release manager
> officially declare a point somewhere in the middle of the release cycle
> which marks the change from 'developping randomly' to 'working towards
> the release'. At this point, changes to the SC would only be applied to
> the next stable release after the one worked on by the time.

Would this also apply to
* changes in the interpretation of the SC
* newly identified DFSG-compliance problems when applying an unchanged
interpretation of the SC
?

I'd suggest that it should.  The untimely late discovery of an improperly
licensed file in the middle of XFree86, the Linux kernel, or any other
major program in the Debian system, can wreak just as much havoc as a
change to the SC.  And as we've seen, a change in interpretation may do the
same thing.

A "freeness freeze" for each release would be a practical accomodation to
the problems of release coordination, although a somewhat radical change
from the current assumptions.