"Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> writes:

> I'm just saying that by a practical point of view who thinks so is
> pretending that hardware is free too.

No, I'm not pretending that hardware is free.  It may well not be,
which is why we don't distribute it.

> Your point of view is that firmware is software.

*Real* firmware is not software.  But *real* firmware is *firm*, that
is, you can't change it easily: it's in a ROM.  And nobody is asking
us to distribute it.

"Downloadable firmware" is software, however, and is quite different,
and the question is should we distribute it?

> I see no difference between microcode loaded on CPU (just as an
> example) and that loaded by the kernel to have hardware working.
> Really no difference.

Both may well be non free, and we should distribute neither if they
are non-free.