Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:48:57PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:
>
> > You are mistaken. It also applies if a package needs a piece of software
> > which isn't distributable by Debian, not even in non-free (for a
> > concrete example, see the java packages that can't be compiled by free
> > compilers)
>
> Ah, thanks for the correction.
>
> Then in this case, we would put the drivers into to contrib, and the
> firmware into non-free.

Yes, and when next-generation processors will require loading firmwares
to work, we would put them in non-free and kernels and libc in contrib.
At that time Debian (aka main) will become just a collection of software
as in the first days of GNU. Surely not a Universal OS...

--
Francesco P. Lovergine