Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:16:02 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:56:34AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> I don't believe I have the moral authority to tell aj that he's
>> wrong to follow the Social Contract more strictly than I would.  Do
>> you?

> It's pretty rare in Debian that anyone is able to tell someone what
> to do on moral authority alone. Normally an explanation and
> justification is required and we attempt to achieve a consensus --
> ie, a common understanding of what the best thing to do is amongst
> the interested parties.

> As Joey's pointed out on his blog, we're doing less of this than we
> have in the past. I don't think it's a good trend, but others'
> mileage may vary.

> This isn't a matter of interpreting the social contract strictly or
> loosely -- there's no ambiguity anymore on this issue. I don't think
> it's reasonable to choose to follow the social contract "loosely" --
> the whole point of promises and contracts is that the folks bound by
> them don't get to choose how to follow them.

	But when the language of the contract changes, there can be a
 interval of time before the parties come back in compliance. It is a
 policy decision if everything else stops, or not -- and I think
 continuing with security fixes, bug fixes, and ever releasing Sarge,
 would be acceptable while we bring the system back to compliance.

	Your mileage may indeed vary.

	manoj
--
Keep your mouth shut and people will think you stupid; Open it and you
remove all doubt.