On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Andreas Barth wrote:

> * Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) [040426 12:10]:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> > > 	* firmware will need to be split out of the kernel into userspace
> > > 	  in all cases
>
> > It's good when this happens.
>
> > > 	* debian-installer will need to be rewritten to support obtaining
> > > 	  non-free firmware but not other non-free packages
>
> > It would be a clean solution at the end of the day, so this is good.
>
> I agree that both these issues are good in the end. However, I really
> would prefer to tackle this issue after releasing of sarge. (On the
> other hand, we now also have the time to restrict our kernel source
> packages.)

At my job we do alot of work with companies to write drivers for hardware
that requires firmware to drive internal processors/etc - and through it
all there is one recurring issue: A particular driver version requires a
particular firmware version to work 100% as intended.

Splitting them up just makes it that much more likely that the driver
won't work because it has a newer/older firmware that is not compatible :<

Jason