Re: GR: Editorial amendments to the social contract

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:21:33AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> Raul Miller wrote:
>> > *   There are people in Debian.
>> Fine, there are a bunch of silly interpretations as well.  The context
>> indicates that "Debian" means "the Debian system" or "the Debian
>> distribution".  You could interpret it as meaning "the Debian Project",
>> but that would be silly, because it would make the whole Social Contract
>> make
>> no sense whatsoever.  (Are you software?  Are you free software?)
>
> I think you are being too quick to dismiss Raul's comments. He has
> pointed out in the past that "Debian" means a lot of different things;
> it's a project, an OS, among others.
>
> So "Debian will remain 100% Free Software" is not entirely clear,
> given that Debian is a bunch of people in certain contexts.
> Why not spell out the context?

Quite right and perfectly reasonable -- spelling out the context is a fine
idea.

But it's essentially a different topic from the message Raul was replying
to, which was explaining that there are only two possible ways to
interprent the "...will remain 100% Free Software" part of the sentence,
and that his "and/or" interpretation simply wasn't one of them.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/